USOF Means Universal Service Obligation Fund. The main vision of USOF is enabling rural Indians to achieve their fullest potential and participate productively in the development of the nation by virtue of being effectively connected through a reliable and ubiquitous telecommunications network, access to which is within their reach and within their means.
- Economic: Network extension & stimulate uptake of the ICT services
- Social: Mainstreaming the underserved & un-served areas/groups by bridging the Access Gap.
- Political: to enable citizens exercise their political rights in an informed way and
- Constitutional: Equitable distribution of the fruits of the telecom/digital revolution and fair allocation of national resource (pooled USO levy) via targeted subsidies.
1.Bharat Net Project (NOFN)
2.Mobile towers at LWE areas
3.25000 Public Wi Fi Hotspots at Telephone Exchanges of BSNL in Rural Areas
4.Wi-Fi Hotspots at 200 Rural Stations as Pilot Project
- NOFN/BHARAT NET INTRODUCTION
The Government approved the proposal of Bharat Net Project (NOFN) on October 25, 2011 to provide high speed internet and connectivity to 2.5 lakhs GPs in India by utilising USO Funds and creating institutional mechanism for management and operation of NOFN in a non-discriminatory manner.Among 2.5 Lakhs GPs, there are 1712 GPs in West Bengal Circle.
2.MOBILE TOWERS AT LWE AREAS
The agreement for setting up of Mobile Service in Left Wing Extremist areas was signed between President of India and M/s Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd on 30.09.2014. Total No. Of towers is 1836 . 96 towers are there in West Bengal Circle. Mobile service will be available to the general public as well as to the security personnel.
3. 25000 Public Wi Fi Hotspots at Telephone Exchanges of BSNL in Rural Areas
The objective of the scheme is to Set up 25000 Wi-Fi Hotspots at BSNL Exchanges around the country. In West Bengal Circle there are 989 sites.
4. Wi-Fi Hotspots at 200 Rural Stations as Pilot Project
Wi-fi Hotspots are to be installed in 200 Railway Stations out of which 3 stations are in West Bengal Circle. They are Falakata, Jalpaiguri Road and Sevok. Railtel will provide broadband internet access. The target end user devices would be kiosks, smartphones, tablets etc. The project aims to test the robustness and feasibility and commercial viability of the model.