Telecom is a rapidly growing sector with structural changes that have impacted functioning of the Department of Telecommunications especially after formation of Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited with effect from 01.10.2000 as a separate corporate entity. In the wake of this momentous development, offices of Controller of Communication Accounts were setup in various states representing the Department of Telecommunications at the field level. These offices, which initially started as small “DoT Cells” with a limited mandate of work viz. disbursement of pensions, GPF and maintenance of Broad Sheets of Loans and Advances etc. have completed 20 years of their glorious existence and their work have also grown manifold over these years. After, passage of time so many new functions have been allocated to the field offices by DoT & CGCA office.
- Disbursement of Pension: CCA office is responsible for the settlement of pensionary and terminal benefits i.e. issue of pension payment orders, authorization of payment of commuted value of pension, gratuities etc.
- The CCAs holds Pension Adalats for settlement of pensionary grievances.
- Pension Library is meant for keeping pensioner's records in chronological order so that as and when records of pensioner required, may readily available without wasting time for search. Pension library is situated on the 3rd floor of the CCA office building and pension records of pensioners have been kept in order of pensioner's code in the compactor. A directory has been prepared for pension records so that record may be readily available for onwards action. It is great achievement of this office.
- Recently direct disbursement of pension through SAMPANN.
- Collection of Pension and Leave Salary Contribution: This office carries out the functions of collection, scrutiny and monitoring of the amounts to be received as pension contribution and leave salary contribution by the Government.
- GPF, loans and advances: The CCA office is responsible for maintenance of GPF accounts and recovery/accounting of long term advances taken by employees. They also maintain GPF and Loans & Advances broadsheets. Final Payment of balances of GPF to retirees and family pensioners is also made by CC A office.
- Post checking of pension paid vouchers: is also an important function entrusted to the CCA offices to ensure that the pension authorized is correctly paid to the retiree / family pensioner. Any excess payment of pension made by the pension disbursing authorities is recovered and credited in the Government account.
- PAO & DDO functions: The CCA office also function as PAO’s for the TERM offices and WMO units located within the jurisdiction and consolidates their monthly accounts. It also performs the DDO functions for its own office and compiles the monthly accounts of the CCA office for sending to the DOT headquarters timely.
- License Fee collection: The CCA office is responsible for collection of license fee from all commercial licensees of cellular, basic, Unified Access Service, NLD, ILD, Commercial VSAT, PMRTS services, Internet Services Providers (without telephony), Internet Service Providers (with telephony), captive VSAT, CMRTS, Radio links, Microwave links and OFC links. The license fee collected is a sizeable component of the non tax revenue for the government.
- Maintenance of Performance and Financial Bank Guarantees: The CCA has been entrusted with the work of maintenance, renewal, revision and invocation of Performance and Financial Bank Guarantees submitted by the licensees.
- Verification of Deductions: As per the license agreements, licensees can claim deductions (on account of pass-thru charges, roaming service charges, sales tax, service tax) from their gross revenues’ to arrive at ‘adjusted gross revenue’ before calculating the license fee payable. The deductions claimed vary from 23% to 91% of the Gross Revenue under different categories of licenses. To ensure that the deductions claimed by the licensees are correct and not excess, the CCA has been assigned the task of verifying the deductions on quarterly basis.
- Collection of Spectrum Usages Charges: The work relating to collection of Spectrum charges in respect of GSM and CDMA service providers is also being done by the CCA offices.
- Assessment of Spectrum Usages Charges: The work of assessment of Spectrum Usages Charges is being done in the CCA offices from the financial year 2012-13 onwords.
- Assessment of License Fee of Decentralised Licensees: The work of assessment of License fee of Decentralised Licensees(ISP, ISP(IT), CMRTS, PMRTS & VNO) has been entrusted to CCA office. However, assessment of License Fee of VNO (Access Service) will be done in DoT (HQ).
- Collection of Penalty and Fee Received Through NTRP From the TSP's/OSP's: The penalty CA & EMR verification and Fee for BTS testing and OSP registration is received in the account of CCA office on the basis of demand notices issued by the office of TERM Unit, UP(East) LSA, Lucknow.
- Universal Service Obligation: The USO fund of India came into existence on 1.4.2002 which is funded by the contributions from the service providers and presently the Universal service levy stands at 5% of the adjusted gross revenue (AGR) The fund is disbursed and monitored at the state level by the CCA offices. The CCA is responsible for the verification of the claims of the eligible service providers and release of payment. The CCA is responsible for physical inspection of facilities and monitoring the progress of Rural Telephony which has a direct bearing on subsidy disbursed. The CCA offices have been designated by the USO Fund administration as facilitators to liaise with the State governments, Infrastructure providers, Universal Service providers, District Administration and local bodies to ensure timely roll out under the different USO schemes.
- Legal Functions: The CCA also handle court cases at field level where the Government of India is a party in matters of license fees, spectrum fees, pension, absorption issues etc.
- CPIO & Appellate Functions: Joint CCA/CCA in this office has been designated as Central Public Information Officer (CPIO) and Departmental Appellate Authorities (DAAs) for ensuring smooth provisioning of information under the Right to Information Act 2005 for all matters being dealt with the CCA offices.
The CCA offices have also been entrusted with the responsibility of conducting Annual internal audit inspections of Wireless monitoring offices (WMO) and TERM units within their jurisdiction.
- Computer Section:-
Computer Section is success key of any office. In this office, Computer section deals with Networking, Computer related issues (Hardware/Software), Server issues, Telephone and EPBAX, Updation of website pages of this office in CGCA website, procurement and installation of DSC(Digital Signature Certificate), Taking central backup of the server as prescribed etc. All employee's biometric updation, creation of GoV mail ID and issues. Mobile Application of CCA UP(East) has also been developed.
- PDA Section:-……………………………………………………………………….
In PDA (Pension Disbursement Authority) Section after receiving of pension cases in CPMS Portal and physically also in the form of EPPO duly signed by the Accounts Officer(Pension), The AO (PDA) allot the pension cases to DH (PDA) in CPMS Portal. The PDA section processes the bills of Gratuity and commutation value. After the payment of the bills by PFMS section, PDA section generates Monthly Arrear of Pension by creating DSC (Digital Life Certificate) of the pensioners. Further, the sanctioned Monthly Pension is forwarded to Cash section to disburse pension to the retiree. Pension files of each pensioner are kept in PDA section.
- Pension Library:-
- Compactor of 23000(approx.) Pensioner's file and service books has been placed on 3rd floor of CCA Building, T.E. Campus, Gomti Nagar, Lucknow, UP(East).
- At present 9300 (approx.) bounded service books & files of Pensioners are kept in the Compactor and 4100 foreign in pensioners fie (who retired from other circle and drawing thier pension from this circle) are also kept in comapctor.
- Directory of Pension library containing Sl.No., Name of beneficiary, Pensioner's Name, PPO No., Pensioner's Mobile No., Unit Name & Location Code has been prepared for smooth search of pensioner's records.
- Approx. 9500 Service Books are yet to be received, but after making huge efforts, 1488 Service books have been received till date as early as possible.
- Information regarding pension library are as follows :-
The SAMNPANN (System for Accounting and Management of Pension) was launched by the Hon'ble Prime Minister of India Shri. Narendra Modi on 29.12.2018 at Varanasi.The live telecast of the same was organized in the conference hall of CCA UP(East) Circle, Lucknow inviting BSNL Executives from various Units as well as in the compound of Sub-Office Varanasi. About 200 pensioners attended the function at Sub Office Varanasi, wherein they were informed about the functionalities of SAMAPNN by the CCA Office Team.
- Sub Office at Varanasi:-
Sub office Varanasi CCA UP(E), Varanasi is functioning from 27.08.2018 on pilot basis and has been made functional on full-fledged basis after inauguration by Hon'ble PM of India on 29.12.2018.
- The Main purpose of opening the office was to serve the existing pensioners/ to be retired pensioners of the following SSAs under the jurisdiction of this office :-
(i) Varanasi (ii) Gorakhpur (iii) Azamgarh (iv) Pratapgarh (v) Mirzapur (vi) Jaunpur (vii) Mau (viii) Ghazipur (ix) Deoria (x) Ballia.
- One SSAs of UP(E) Circle namely Allahabad was also added to this office from 1st March 2019.
- The office is functioning in BSNL CTO Building Varanasi Cantt. from 27.08.2018.
- At present following functions re carried out in this Sub office :-
- Checking and passing of pension cases, issue of PPOs on monthly basis in r/o superannuation pension, VRS and all type of family pension.
- Sanction/ Bills for DCRG and Commutation are sent to Lucknow office for effecting payment through PFMS.
- One copy of PPO is sent to pension section of O/o CCA, UP(E), Lucknow for allotment of PPO No followed by PVA section entering the data of pensioners and allotting pensioners's code
- All the pension cases, in which pensioners desire to draw the pension through Bank and provided required undertaking, are processed through CPMS W.E.F. 04.12.2018.
- As per orders of CCA UP(E), Lucknow, inspections of USO schemes are carried by this office staff and officer's nominated for this purpose.
- All correspondence related to court cases in r/o this office pension cases are being settled by this office through O/o CCA, UP(E), Lucknow.
- All correspondence related to PG/RTI cases in r/o this office pension cases are being settled by this office through O/o CCA, UP(E), Lucknow.
- Records of about 150 new settled pension case files and about 60 filed are maintained by this office till date.